Military licence questions

Whats the difference between a CPL and an ATPL and what will I initially get?

You will initially get a CPL IR which is a Frozen ATPL until you have 2000hrs, including 500hrs multi-pilot aircraft and a type rating. You can still get a job with a CPL IR but it means the employer will need to give you a base trainer sortie (costs them a bit more). If you have an ATPL then your type rating can be sim based. Once you have the hours and rating then you can convert your licence.

Are there military credits for night ratings?

No, there used to be but under EASA that privelage has been removed. Section O (military credits) does say that there are no exemptions to the credits listed, BUT you can still get the night rating without flying. First you need an EASA PPL to add it onto. You need to go to a “Head of Training” at a “Air Training Organisation” (ATO, flying school) and ask them to complete the night rating form detailing your military night hours and state no extra training is required. Send this to the CAA, pay £88 and it’s on your licence. Tried and tested. This saves flying at night in a single engine piston aicraft, which is both scary and costly. 

Do I need to complete the ground school course for the ATPL exams?

No, just pass the CAA exams (this changed with EASA). Easiest way is to use a question bank which explains the answers when you get them wrong. Bristol Ground School is probably best for this. The revision weeks are useful but not essential, all depends on how much study time you have. Make sure your ELCAS course is at least £2500, so you can claim the full £2000 back. Training schools will be able to advise you which course is best.

I’m currently in a ground tour and don’t hold a unrestricted military green rating, does that matter?

No, providing you held one at some point in your career. If you didn’t and held a restricted rating or lower than green IRT then you need a bit more training (according to the CAA). Check CAP 804, section O, military credits and read the section relevant to the IRT you hold/held.  CAA CAP 804

 What’s the difference between military IF and civilian IFR?

Military IF is flying in clouds. Civilian IFR is flying with sole reference to instruments. You can count military logged IF and simulated hours.

 Where is the rule that military IF can be multiplied by 4 to give IFR?

It has been removed, use the method above.

Do I add taxi time to my military hours?

Most of the military credits forms ask for military flight time, not including taxi time. If you need to add taxi time, say to a CV, then it is accepted that you can add 10mins pre-takeoff and 5mins after landing.

Are there credits for the IR(R) / IMC rating?

Firstly it is called an IR(R) on a EASA licence and a IMC rating on a UK licence, same thing. This does allow you to fly down to 500ft for a precision approach and 600ft for a non-precision approach and down to 1500m vis. If you hold a military unrestricted green instrument rating then you are fully credited the rating. It now becomes a paperwork exercise (plus CAA charges) to get it added to your PPL or CPL. Useful to have and allows you to fly in IMC, IFR (not class A). Valid for 25 months and you need to complete the CAA paperwork to revalidate the rating for a further 25 months if you still have a military unrestricted green rating.